In this Episode I discuss The Witness, Braid and how the two games do or do not exemplify the principles Jonathan Blow has given numerous talks about. I go into a little background on Jonathan Blow as a game creator and programmer, and some of his ideas on game design.
At the end I share some thoughts on following the seven year development process, what I learned about making games, and some strategies Jonathan Blow used for reducing risk when working on a game.
- Spoiler warning
- Jonathan Blow
- Jonathan Blow talks
- Braid - the principles
- The Witness - high-level thoughts
- The Witness - the principles applied
- The Witness - what didn't work for me
- Jonathan Blow - thoughts on making games
- A plea for simplicity for game designers
- How To Design Deep Games with Jonathan Blow (Braid, The Witness)
- Break Room Interviews: Jonathan Blow (Braid)
- Jonathan Blow: How Mainstream Devs Are Getting It Wrong
- Jonathan Blow: Game design: the medium is the message
- Todd Howard (Elder Scrolls, Fallout) and Ken Levine (Bioshock) discuss addiction mechanics